4/18/2013

My Life as it Should Have Been Ch 1.5: Red

I slipped away quietly as Blue, my guard for lack of a better word, stopped to unmake some nice condos that some innocents had built. So I made it to the Muchos Sucrose all on my lonesome. I sauntered into the Muchos Sucrose and nearly stopped dead in my tracks. Red was not only there but he was poking his belly with a needle. No I couldn’t believe it. I’d seen diabetics before but Red? The leader of the Rangers? No one ammasses that kind of power without a fifth of soda pop a day. I kept my cool though played it like I knew it all along.

“Mr DuPuy.” He said.

“Red.” I replied.

“Please sit down. Care for a drink? We have the best there is to offer in these parts.” He said

“Hawaian Punch. Neat.” I said taking the seat across from Red. He was older than me but younger than Blue. I couldn’t be certain though. Heghts don’t always tell the truth.

“A boy with no illusions. I like that.” Red smirked at this. “Do you know why you are here?”

“You called and here I am.”

“That’s not like you. To jump the moment someone calls.”

“No. It isn’t.” I said. “But you asked quite firmly.”

“Ah yes. Little Zachariah.” He said. “Such a pity.”

“Where is he?”

“Do you play connect four Mr DuPuy?”

“I dabble.” I took a draught from my punch cup. “Now where is he?”

“Relax Mr DuPuy he’s simply in time out for the time being. Would care for red or black?” Red’s easygoing speech seemed perfectly tuned to rub me the wrong way.

“You pick I don’t particularly care.”

“Tsk tsk Mr DuPuy. I fear you have already made a fatal error. I shall be red then and play first.”

“So are you gonna tell me why I’m here or should I just walk away now?”

“You do get to the point quickly. I will say that.” He placed a red checker in the board. “Zachariah has been getting himself into trouble.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes. There’s really no way for him to work his way out of it. Not the way he goes through that sugar. Honestly that sweetie of his has to be charging the most ludicrous rates.” Red heaved a sigh. “But seeing as he’s otherwise a good kid I figure I’ll give him a chance. That’s where you come in.”

“Is it now?”

“Yes.”

“Care to elaborate?”

“I suppose I shall have to.” Red grinned at this. “You see there is a particular object which I am anxious to acquire. A falcon to be precise. And I’m having trouble finding it.”

“Try the Toy Store they’re sure to have plenty.” I said.

Red couldn’t help himself and laughed heartily at this.

“If only it were that simple. This is a very particular Falcon. It was seen last in the hands of a girl in the playground. Acquire this Falcon and give it to me and I shall forgive Zachariah’s debt. You may even be in line to prfit some yourself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment