4/25/2013

Harry and the Girl

I strode along to find Harry. He was a wiry little kid most people either picked on him or ignored him due to his small size. I didn’t do things like that. Well at least to him anyway. There was no telling what someone as immenintly forgettable as Harry might be privvy to. He spent most of his time playing hide and seek out here on the playground so if anyone knew who my mystery girl was it would be him. The kids all ran about to find a hiding place. There were always plenty to go around the only trouble was that the best ones were all in areas we were forbidden to travel by the grey hairs. Harry though could slip in and out of sight whenever he wished.
I walked past the jungle gym sedately and as I passed by the neon slides and a hand grabbed me by the arm and pulled me under the awning for the slides. My head flashed past the floor the other kids played upon nearly earning me a boo boo that no medicinal grade kisses could possibly heal. I turned about to face my assailant to find as I figured little Harry looking back at me.

“What’s wrong with you Mike?” Harry whined. “You know I can’t be seen talking with you!”

“Relax Harry.” I said as I popped a piece of bubble gum in my mouth. “What’s the worst that could happen?”

“People know you Mike. I get by purely because people don’t know me. Or if they do it’s as that weird kid with the pencils. Or the guy who sleeps through the movies.”

“Exactly you got nothing to worry about.” I said. “You’re always under the radar.”

“Yes I am and that’s how I like it. But if people see you and me together.” Harry said. “I’ll register to them. I won’t be able to properly blend.”

“Yeah yeah I get it Harry. Now let’s get down to business. Have you seen this girl?” I handed him the sketch I’d gotten from Red after I agreed to the work. Harry’s eyes got wide and darted between me and the sketch.

“No.” He said.

I grabbed his arm before he could turn and run.

“What’s the rush Harry? You’re not in any trouble. You would never lie to me would you?” I said taking his arm and preparing for an indian burn.

“Aw come on Mikey you know I’m always on the level with you.” He said.

“Where did you see her?” I asked.

“Look Mikey you don’t want to be in this. Everybody’s going to be after you.”

“Everyone already is after me.” I spat.

“Not like this they aren’t.” He wimpered

“I need information or to take out my frustration somwhere.”

“Ok ok but don’t say I didn’t warn you.” I took one hand off his arm to let him focus on the information at hand.

“She was over by the sand box and she took something out of there that had been buried but I don’t know any more than that.”

“Where did she go?”

“Inside that’s the last I saw of her.” He said.

It was at that moment that a sound came from just outside our hiding place. I quickly went for my squirt gun and let go of Harry to do it. A kid came bounding around the corner tackling me to the ground.

“I found you you’re it.”

“I was never playing. Just looking for some shade.” I looked over and Harry was nowhere to be found. Just as well I suppose.

“Then why don’t you go inside?”

“That’s not a bad idea.” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment